2007年11月16日金曜日

The Book about Japan

I borrowed an interesting book from the library. A lot of English sentences about Japan are in this book. I heard most of people who went to foreign countries got embarrassed that they can't explain their own country. I'm going to go to Australia, so I should learn more about Japan before that. That's why I borrowed this book...well, it's not true. I'm not that earnest person. I borrowed it just because I taught some of sentences are interesting.
Anyway, there are a lot of things I haven't know. For example, do you know why temples ring bells 108 times in New Year's Eve? (actually, I haven't even know that it's 108 times...) Because it means removing the 108 worldly desires. According to Buddhist teachings, it seems people have 108 worldly desires. Can you see what 'worldly desires' means? It's 'bonnou' in Japanese. (for me, it's wow that 'bonnou' is called 'worldly desires' in English. Is it really collect expression?)
This book also teaches about Japanese monsters in detail. It says 'Sometimes demons ('oni' in Japanese) appear in the world disguised as handsome men or beautiful women.' I haven't know that they disguise and appear in the world. I think the parts of ' handsome' and 'beautiful' are the most important point. I should be careful.
It also says 'In Kanto and Tohoku, it was believed the One-eyed boy appeared in the evening of the eighth day of the second month and the eighth day of the twelfth month of the lunar calendar.' Wow! Have you known this? Of course I haven't at all. I wonder do some people from Kanto or Tohoku know this? I want to ask if I meet them...
Well, I think some sentences in this book are useful and some of them are very maniac... I like it! I'll read this book more.

0 件のコメント: